FEA monitors and addresses the following legislation and policies:
- UN Recommendations on the Transport of Dangerous Goods (UN Model Regulations and its supplement the UN Manual of Tests & Criteria)
- European Agreement concerning the International Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road (ADR)
- Regulations Concerning the International Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Rail (RID)
- European Agreement concerning the International Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Inland Waterways (ADN)
- International Civil Aviation Organization Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air (ICAO TI)
- International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code (IMDG Code)
- Inland Transport of Dangerous Goods Directive 2008/68/EC
Aerosol products are covered by the UN Recommendations on the Transport of Dangerous Goods produced by the ECOSOC in 1956, which serve as basic rules for other transport modes.
Rules for sea transport (IMDG Code) started in 1965 while those for the road transport (ADR) first went into effect in 1968 and Regulations for transport by air (ICAO TI) in 1984.
FEA holds a Non-Governmental Organisation status in the following bodies:
- UN ECOSOC Sub-Committee of Experts on the Transport of Dangerous Goods (UN SCE-TDG)
- UNECE Working Party on the Transport of Dangerous Goods (WP.15)
- UNECE Joint Meeting of the RID Committee of Experts and the Working Party on the Transport of Dangerous Goods, so-called Joint Meeting RID/ADR/ADN (WP.15/AC.1)
- International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Dangerous Goods Panel (DGP)
- EC Transport of Dangerous Goods Committee
FEA has provided its expertise on different aerosol issues such as transport of waste aerosols, alternatives to hot water bath testing, Limited Quantity (LQ) regime or transport of aerosol displays.
FEA has also co-sponsored the Industry Guidelines for the Security of the Transport of Dangerous Goods by Road which is available on the DG MOVE website.